NBA Betting Tips
Posted by bleuze
Posted on Fri, Oct 11, 2019
NBA betting is actually one of the most difficult sports to beat against the spread.
Below are a few tips that I use when placing a bet on a NBA game. Hopefully, the tips will help you beat your bookie. If not, the NBA and MLB are the only two sports that I place bets on.
Note: If you came here looking for picks against the spread for today’s games, please go here: NBA paid picks
1. Watch for teams playing their 3rd game in 4 nights. The players are often tired with no legs left under them. Especially, when on the road or when they played overtime the night before! The spread may take this into consideration, but it is an excellent spot to watch out for a nice overlay (odds in your favor.) The team could be prime for an upset.
2. Establish a bankroll and stick to a money management system. Then never bet more than 2-3% of this bankroll on any one play. This means that if your starting bankroll is $500, your maximum bet should be no more than $10-$15. This is a kind of boring way to gamble, however, it will get you through the highs and lows of a long season of streaks and they do happen! Most do NOT listen to this advice and end up losing money. Once you are tired of losing, come back and read this article again and practice this tip. You will be glad you did!
3. Keep a very close eye on line moves (That is why a suggest several accounts at various sports books). If a line move happens in favor of one team and the public is on the other side, this may indicate sharp action and may be a good game to place a bet on.
4. Only bet when the value is on your side. After handicapping all the games on the day’s card, then place your bets. Often times, you will find, a couple per day in which the oddsmakers have made a weak line and only play these games. Always remember, that the bookmaker is forced to put out a line on every game, you however, are NOT forced to bet every game.
5. When handicapping, consider looking closely at turnovers as a statistic. Turnovers usually lead to points. Points win games. Same goes for points in the paint since shots taken closer to the hoop are made at a higher percentage.
6. Do NOT put too much faith in trends. They are exciting, but what happened in the past usually does NOT have much bearing on what is going to happen today or in the future.
7. In addition, always check starting lineups. The team may announce an injury later in the day.
8. Try to avoid betting on your favorite team. Do NOT let your emotions come into play and skews your opinion.
9. If there is a big positive number for a team that is in the top 10, bet on it!
10. Bets on road underdogs of 10 to 19.5 points off six or more consecutive losses, bet on the team.
11. If your going to play “short” underdogs, such as +1, +2 or +3, consider betting the moneyline instead, as the moneyline pays more and often times you will NOT need these points to cover the spread.
12. Conversely, avoid betting NBA moneyline favorites, especially big ones.
13. During the season look for that great team that was blown out the night before by one of the worst teams in the league. Chances are they are going to come out and try to annihilate their next opponent.
14. As the season gets closer to the end and teams get run down their defenses tend to get more lax. Look for a game where a run and gun team may be going up against a club that loves to play defense but may just be tired. Also, this is a time to really consider the over in the over/under, as a tired defense tends to be less effective. Finally, look for teams that are out of contention a phoning it in
15. Understand the Odds. Know what vigorish you are paying to the sports book and figure out what percentage of your games you have to win to break even and show a profit.
STOP betting on the NBA about 30 days prior to the regular season end.
In my opinion, it is a good idea to use a professional NBA handicapper and to follow his advice. These guys are the pros who know all about the pros and who have the inside story on games, players and organizations.
However, if you do NOT want to use a NBA handicapper, use these NBA betting tips to make money and temper your choices throughout the season. And please remember, that although the players are professionals, they are also human and can have off nights and bad games. Wagering on the NBA is a daily process during which the league is constantly changing and evolving.